Source Church Register of Centerpoint (currently Diamond Methodist), Warrenton Circuit, North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South: Register of Members lists James W Johnson received in 1897 by baptism. Lists James W, Ada E, JP, and Harvey D Johnson being received into the church summer of 1918 on transfer from the Horton Circuit. Later lists him as moved to Guntersville but no date.
From Icle Smith's records: Home and family of Jas W Johnson lies between Red Hill and Diamond known as a part of Cobbs quarter photo taken in the year of 1912
1910 Census, Warrenton, Marshall County, AL, p 176, living next door to his father Benjamin P
Lived and farmed near Albertville 1914-1918
1920 Census lists James W. as a dry good store salesman and living next door to his father Benjamin P
OBITUARY Advertiser-Gleam, Guntersville, Alabama: (excerpts) James William (Jimmy) Johnson, a Guntersville merchant for more than 40 years, died at his home here Saturday March 30 after an illness of three years. He had been confined to his bed for eight weeks.
The Southside Methodist Church, which Mr. Johnson helped found, was the scene of his funeral Sunday....
He farmed until 1917 when he and his father came to Guntersville and went into mercantile business where Odessa's store is now (from about 1918-1921) . (NOTE: article written in 1963) They were there until the mid-1920's when Mr. Johnson moved to Blountsville and operated a store (from about 1921-1927). In 1928 he returned to Guntersville and opened a grocery in South Town. He was in the grocery business here almost continuously for 35 years, having stores at different times in South Town, North Town and at the mill. He was at the Curb Market in South Town three years ago when he had to retire because of his health.
Mr. Johnson joined the Methodist Church when very young and continued as an active church member throughout his life. When he first came to Guntersville he belonged to the First Methodist Church, but after returning here from Blountsville he was one of the founders of the Southside Church and continued as a leading member of it until his death. At various times he served the church in practically every capacity a layman can.
Members of the church say that without him the present building would not have been erected. It was built at a time when he was out of business for several months and he devoted almost his full time to the construction work......
Funeral was at Southside Methodist Church at 2pm March 31, 1963 with Rev Hobert Miller and Rev Ed Gardner officiating. Ralph Norrell led the singing: Uncloudy Day and On Jordan's Stormy Banks were sung.